Osteoarthritis (OA) is the most common form of arthritis and affects up to 20% of adult Singaporeans. It typically causes aching in the joints.
Causes of osteoarthritis
Osteoarthritis isn’t just caused by ageing but also by factors such as:
- Excess body weight
- Muscle laxity
- Joint malalignment
- Previous joint injuries
Symptoms of osteoarthritis
Symptoms you may experience include:
- Pain and swelling in affected joints
- Joints appearing larger than normal
- Warm, tender joints
- Creaking or grating sensations in the affected joint
How to prevent osteoarthritis
To prevent osteoarthritis, follow these simple tips.
- Tip 1: Avoid joint injuries when exercising by doing warm up exercises and wearing proper footwear.
- Tip 2: Strengthen your muscles to help support your joints.
- Tip 3: Maintain a healthy weight to prevent putting additional stress on your joints.